Canyon Charter Elementary School
421 Entrada DriveSanta Monica, CA 90402
Principal: Joyce Dara
Who We Are
Enrollment: 407 Students in Grades K-5
2009 API: 952 Statewide Rank: 10
Canyon Charter Elementary, located in the heart of Santa Monica Canyon, is a small, high-achieving school that places an emphasis on academic excellence and ranks as one of the highest performing schools within LAUSD. We recognize that learning best occurs when students actively participate in the process of learning and can engage in experimentation, exploration, and discovery. Canyon was founded in 1894 on a portion of the Rancho Boca de Santa Monica land grant. The heart of the campus is the historic one room schoolhouse, which contains our library of over 6,000 volumes and includes a museum of local history and culture.
What Makes Us Unique
• The original schoolhouse, the oldest school building still in use in Los Angeles, which provides a living monument that allows the students to embrace tradition and history.
• Active parent participation through the Canyon Booster Club, Governing Board, volunteering in the classroom, and by organizing school-wide events.
• A comprehensive Arts program, including music education provided by the Santa Monica Academy of Music and dance and theatre workshops.
• Our Council Program, which involves the practice of speaking and listening from the heart. At Canyon, we teach students the "four intentions" of Council: Speak from the heart without judging oneself, Listen from the heart without judging others, Speak spontaneously without planning, Keep it lean so all have time to share.
• Our beautiful library, housing over 6,000 volumes and a museum of local history.
Canyon Charter School, as a neighborhood school, gives first priority in admission to students who live in its attendance area but also provides for the education of non-neighborhood students who wish to attend based on the District’s Desegregation or Integration policy. Any additional spaces are made available via a public random drawing conducted in the spring for the following school year. To enroll, families must provide verification of date of birth, residence and immunizations.
There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.View Full Calendar
Support Great Schools! Please Donate Now to the Palisades Charter Schools Foundation!